Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Jazz


"Jazz, like any artistic phenomenon, represents the sum of an addition. The factors of this addition are, to my mind, African music, French and American music and folklore." ---Robert Goffin, 1934.
Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway , Fats Waller, Bix Beiderbecke, Ornette Coleman, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Buddy Bolden, Jelly Roll Morton, Joe "King" Oliver, Red Nichols, Artie Shaw, Charlie Christian, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Benny Carter, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk and Max Roach are just a few of the most formidable Jazz artist that ever graced the stages.
I began listening to Jazz as a very young girl, it was the first genre that I can remember. The first song I remember hearing was Cab Calloways Missouri Moan and Miles Davis's Polishing Brass, from that I feel in love. I not sure what it is about it, it just seems to take me away anytime I listen. I fall from myself entranced in a human emotion that I can not even begin to explain. I knew that I wanted to be apart of it, but when I started playing the Sax I was concentrating so hard on not messing up I was not able to feel it, nor understand. Coming from the Detroit, Chicago area I was always able to escape to a hole in the ground Jazz club to just get away and listen. I have yet to find one in Portland but I will continue to look.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

now if i could only hear that jazz voice you have

LeAnna said...

one day

LeAnna said...

that could cost you.

Unknown said...

i know a few places to hear decent jazz. most of what i like is bop-ish stuff though; i dont know too many places that are lower key...